How To Stuff A Kong Like A Pro

 Summer is officially here in North Texas and we will be looking at 90+ degree temperatures everyday for the foreseeable future. There are a lot of things that I do to keep the dogs cool in the summer, but hands down, my favorite “keep cool” treat for Moose and Koda are Frozen Kongs.

For those of you that don’t use Kongs, you are missing out - BIG TIME. Frozen Kongs provide hours of quality, mental stimulation. Plus, they are super easy to make. A good stuffed Kong will last Moose and Koda anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour.

I currently have at least 6 or 7 in the freezer and another half-a-dozen strewn about the living room floor - just waiting to be stepped on. The Kongs in our house get used on a weekly basis, and after 2 years of constant wear and tear, I have yet to retire any of them. They are incredibly durable!

I have spent the past 2 years perfecting my Kong stuffing techniques, and I thought I would share my favorite tips and tricks with you…

Stuffing Kongs -

Step 1: Gather, Wash, and Plug

Every Sunday, I walk around the house, gather all of the Kongs we used the week prior, and clean them with warm water and an old tooth brush. The “plug area” of the Kong has a tendency to collect left over peanuts butter so I always make sure to spend a little extra time scrubbing there.

Once all my Kongs are clean and dried, this is when then I make the plugs.


Once all my Kongs are clean and dried, this is when then I make the plugs.

Ideas for Stuffing Dog Kongs.jpg

I used to take my finger and push a big glob of peanut butter into the small hole of the Kongs to create a “plug”. It was a fairly simple process, but by the time I was done, it usually looked like I got into a fight with the peanut butter jar…and lost.

I happened to be watching Shark Tank one evening and came across this little beauty…The Spatty (and the Spatty Daddy)! The Spatty was originally deigned to get the last bit of product out of containers, but it is also incredibly handy when it comes to stuffing Kongs. I swear by Spattys now whenever I am doing Kongs - No more sticky, peanut butter mess.

Frozen Dog Kongs .jpg

Once I have a nice - thick peanut butter seal, I drop them in a freezer for an hour or two to solidify.

Step 2: The Gooey Stuff

  • Peanut Butter

  • Greek yogurt

  • Coconut oil

To start, I like to spread a layer of “gooey stuff” on the inside of the Kong: whether that be peanut butter, yogurt, or coconut oil. I try to get a decent amount on each of the 3 ribs of the Kong.

I have found that the Spatty Daddy comes in handy with this part — It’s got a nice long handle which helps me reach the very top of the Kong (something I could never do with my fingers or a spoon).

Frozen dog kong recipes.jpg
Frozen Dog Treats Kongs .jpg

Pro Tip: Use a mini muffin pan to hold the Kongs upright while they are being stuffed & while they are in the freezer — no more spills!

Step 3: The Sweet Stuff

  • Banana

  • Apples

  • Blueberries

When stuffing Kongs, you’ll be working backwards — with the most rewarding treats going in first. I know Moose and Koda love fruit, so I always start with a nice layer of apples, bananas, or blueberries. I put just enough fruit in to fill the bottom rib of the Kong.

Step 4: The Good Stuff

  • Freeze Dried Treats

  • Hot Dogs

  • Kibble

Next, I like to add some calories to their Kongs which makes them a good mid-afternoon snack. My go-to calories are freeze dried treats, kibble, or hot dogs.

I have noticed that some treats will fall apart when they are exposed to water for extended periods of time. Which is why I really like to use the treats from our Real Dog Box subscription since they hold up so well in water/ice.

This section should fill the next rib of the Kong.

Step 5: The Healthy Stuff

  • Carrots

  • Broccoli

  • Cucumber

The last rib of the Kong I like to fill with veggies — cucumber, carrots, and broccoli being my veggies of choice.

Step 6: The Finisher

  • Stella and Chewys broth (or water)

I never give Moose or Koda stuffed Kongs without a finisher (or else they’ll last them 30 seconds). I like to solidify all my goodies in a bone broth or water depending on what I have on hand.

Pro Tip: add all your liquids once the Kongs are in the freezer to reduce any spills during transportation.

Frozen kong dog treat recipe

Once the finisher is in, I like to leave the Kongs in the freezer overnight to solidify completely. Come Monday morning, it’s Kong time!

…and there you have it! That is how we stuff our Kongs. Do you have any expert tips or tricks? How do you like to stuff your Kongs? Drop a comment below and let us know!

Comments

Popular Posts